Monday, February 21, 2011

What's in the Cookie Jar? And Recipe Link Party

Well, there's nothing in the cookie jar.....but I did make this wonderfully yummy Chicken Tortilla Soup!  I leave the baking to one of the other krazychics, Renee.  She's a much better baker than I.
I found this recipe out of......wait...wait....your never gonna believe it.....Rival Crock Pot, Recipes for Every Occasion.  I'm always looking to make something new.....same ol'  same ol' just gets sooooooo BORING! Besides, I'm a hockey mom and on those nights of practice, well we don't get home till 7p, so who really wants to cook at that time.  I love my crock pot, and when I say "love" I really mean LOVE in all CAPS!
So I tried and I conquered! It turned out fan-tab-u-lous!  I will definately be making this again and soon!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs ( I used breasts)
1 can (4oz) chopped mild green chilies, drained
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cans (15oz each) diced tomatoes, including juice
1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2 TBL chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Juice of 1 line
4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1 avocado, seeded, peeled, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning

1. Place chicken in crock-pot slow cooker
2. Combine chilies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken broth and cumin in a small bowl. Pour mixture over chicken.
3. Cook on High for 3 hours. (I did 6 hours) When chicken is tender use the tines of 2 forks to shred the meat. Adjust seasonings adding additional broth if necessary.
4. Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro to crock-pot. Stir to blend.
5. Serve in soup bowls, topping each serving with cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.

Enjoy! ***Candie****










1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... that soup looks great! I will have to try it. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...